Jun 01 2008

Wild camping in the Russian steppe

Published by at 7:39 pm under World Tour 2008

After being offered a copious breakfast based on salted milk and rice, we leave our hosts at noon. Olivier has also gained a new flag to add to his collection: Chechnya. I had some reservations about waving a Chechen flag around Russia but this doesn’t seem to be a problem. Even the militsia around here is relatively friendly and tonight we’re sleeping in the middle of the steppe 100m from a police control where they told us it was ok to camp. (Show on Google Maps) There are a lot of these permanent police checkpoints between towns, they usually stop lorries and sometimes ask us where we come from (otkuda?) but they haven’t asked to see our passports yet.

5 responses so far

5 Responses to “Wild camping in the Russian steppe”

1. Sandrineon 01 Jun 2008 at 9:29 pm

Bonsoir,
    Apparemment point de vue formalité tout se passe à merveille !!! Tant mieux.
    Vous êtes à peu près à moitié chemin entre Rostov et Astrakhan, malgrè le mauvais temps je trouve que vous faites pas mal de kilomètres.
    Que cela continue !
    En attendant bonne nuit les petits !
    Biz.

2. Daniel Fernandeson 02 Jun 2008 at 8:22 pm

Hey blop

Good luck with your trip, very nice pictures and interesting information.
    Keep up the good work!

Now, back to my 3h daily commute 🙁

Daniel

3. grahamon 02 Jun 2008 at 10:32 pm

Hello Arnaud

I’ve been following your blog and think it is really great and the photos are fantastic, makes me wish I was 25 years younger.

Best of luck to you and Olivier for the rest of the journey, Bye for now. Graham

4. Arnaud Riesson 03 Jun 2008 at 5:31 pm

Thanks for all your comments, it’s nice to know that people back home are following us!

5. Cyrille K.on 07 Jun 2008 at 1:46 pm

Bonjour Arnaud,

Là on est loin de Polaris…

Je suis tombé sur ton blog en recherchant l’altitude du plus haut sommet de Mars…

Votre périple me laisse rêveur.

Merci de nous faire partager quelques-uns de ces moments qui me rappellent qu’un homme est souvent libre de choisir de quoi ça vie est faite.

Bon voyage !